Outlaw Publications submission guidelines
The Outlaw Partners produce Mountain Outlaw magazine and the Explore Big Sky newspaper. Each publication is created with integrity and enthusiasm, featuring world-class photography, intriguing content and quality editorial providing readers with more than a story – We aim to provide an experience. The Outlaw media experience thrives on the lifestyle, land and culture of the mountain west.
To submit editorial content, please send a 3-5-sentence pitch to Editor Joseph T. O’Connor at email@example.com. Please specify publication and department, as well as angle and word count.
Please read our Contributors Agreement before submitting any type of content for publication to Mountain Outlaw or Explore Big Sky. By submitting, you agree to and are bound by these terms and conditions.
Contributors Agreement and Usage Rights Contract
Terms and Conditions
Please read these terms and conditions before submitting any type of content for publication to the Mountain Outlaw magazine or Explore Big Sky. By submitting, you agree to and are bound by these terms and conditions.
Outlaw Partners reserves the right to change these terms and conditions at any time, and those submitting agree to be bound by any such changes.
1.By submitting content to our media outlets (whether text, videos, photographs, audio or otherwise), you are giving Outlaw Partners the right to display or publish it in any of its affiliated publications, and to store, distribute and use it for promotional and marketing purposes. Those rights extend to exclusive use by Outlaw Partners and its affiliated entities, including but not limited to explorebigsky.com, Mountain Outlaw magazine the Explore Big Sky and all related social media.
2. Submissions to the Explore Big Sky are exclusive during that publication’ two-week print run unless otherwise agreed upon in writing. All submissions to Mountain Outlaw magazine are exclusive to that publication’s six-month print run, unless otherwise agreed upon in writing.
3. Outlaw Partners and contributor must agree on payment prior to publication. Outlaw Partners reserves the right to remove or not publish submissions without prior notice, and does not pay kill fees.
4. The author is solely responsible for his/her own submissions and the consequences of publishing such material. In connection with each submission, the author affirms that he/she owns or has the necessary licenses, rights, consents and permissions to use and authorize Outlaw Partners to use all materials in any/all submissions in the manner put forth in these terms and conditions. The author also affirms he/she has permission from each individual in the submission to use his/her name/likeness.
5. The opinions of contributors do not necessarily reflect those of Outlaw Partners, its affiliates or employees.
6. Outlaw Partners reserves the right to edit all submitted material for content, corrections or length.
The following may not be submitted:
1.Material that is copyrighted, protected by trade secret or otherwise subject to third party proprietary rights, unless the author owns such rights or has permission from their rightful owner to post the material and grant Outlaw Partners all rights herein.
2. Falsehoods or misrepresentations that could damage Outlaw Partners or any third party. It is the writer’s duty to fact check. This means double-checking with a source if unsure about a fact or a quote, and cross-checking all research with two to three reliable sources.
3. Material that is unlawful, obscene, discriminatory, defamatory, libelous, threatening, pornographic, harassing, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive, encourages conduct considered a criminal offense, or is otherwise in bad taste.
4. Material submitted simultaneously elsewhere or posted online, unless disclosed and agreed upon previously in writing. Special requests for third party distribution must be pre-approved and mutually agreed upon by the contributor, the Outlaw editorial department, and all other involved parties.
Please familiarize yourself with the images we print in our publications – all past publications may be viewed online at a href=”http://explorebigsky.com/publications”>explorebigsky.com/publications. Follow the submission guidelines closely to enhance chances of publication.
Send photo submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org using one of the below methods, or email your contact information to be included on our photographer contact list.
(only use this method if final zip file is under 10 mb)
Send low-res preview JPGSs in a zip file. (max size 10×15 @ 150 dpi, max 15 images) Please properly name each image file (refer to image filename labeling below), and if possible include photographer’s name, contact information and caption information in the metadata. If your image(s) is selected for publication we will contact you for high resolution files.
Dropbox or other file transfer site (i.e. wesendit.com):
Send link with message including which publication you are submitting to, photographer’s name, contact info and any other information pertinent to your image(s). Max: 15 images. If your image(s) is selected for publication we will contact you for high resolution files.
Image Filename labeling:
Image filenames should be no more than 26 characters long and can’t include: spaces, periods, or back slashes. Image titles should start with the photographer’s first initial followed by their surname, then an underscore, subject, underscore and number reference. (Example: JSmith_elk_001.jpg) Proper image labeling will ensure our ability to transfer and archive files.
Editorial: Rates are negotiable, depending on project, department and length.
Photography: Rates are negotiated per photo, placement and publication.
Summer 2016 call for submissions SUBMISSION DEADLINE PASSED
Mountain Outlaw magazine’s Outbound Gallery features captivating images from the Greater Yellowstone region. The 8-10-page gallery is not just eye candy; it’s our way of giving credit to the amazing photographers who work and play in our area.
Subject matter can include almost anything from the region: landscapes, portraits, action sports, music, events, etc. We generally select images that pertain to the season (i.e. no powder skiing shots in the summer). Familiarize yourself with images we have printed in the past by viewing previous issues, available online at explorebigsky.com/publications.
Selected images will feature the photographer’s name, a short caption and a web link or contact information for the photographer. Gallery photos are not paid.
Follow general photo submission guidelines, and please make note you are submitting for the Outbound Gallery.
April 1, 2016