To the Big Sky community:
Thank you for your past support of parks, trails, and recreation in Big Sky.
On June 14, The Gallatin County Commission approved the Resolution of Intent for the Meadow Trails, Recreation and Parks Special District, which started a 30 day comment period. Tuesday, July 26 is the scheduled hearing to approve the final resolution. If they receive more comments in favor than opposed, there is a good chance they will decide to create the district.
Please express your support by email by Noon on Monday July 25 or attend the hearing on Tuesday July 26 at 9 a.m. at the Gallatin County Courthouse in Bozeman (third floor, “Community Room”) where the Commission will consider creating the district. The more people who email and/or attend the hearing, the better! Below is a sample letter, or feel free to write you own, and email to the Gallatin County Commissioners at firstname.lastname@example.org.
An update: this past Tuesday, the Madison County Commission also approved, in concept, the resolution of intent for a Mountain Trails, Recreation and Parks Special District. If after both county’s 30 day comment periods, they both approve the resolutions to create the districts, the next step will be to sign an interlocal agreement which allows the two districts to be administered by one appointed board as a cooperative entity. This community effort is very close and I appreciate your involvement in seeing it through!
July 17, 2011
Dear Honorable Gallatin County Commissioners:
I would like to express my strong support for the creation of the non-taxing Big Sky Meadow Recreation, Trails, and Parks Special District. I believe that this park district, and the future adjacent park district in the Madison County side of Big Sky, is necessary and essential to the continued overall success of the Big Sky area specifically, and Gallatin County in general. The potential benefits are many:
• Allows Big Sky to maintain control of parks, trails, and recreation in our community.
• Expands potential funding sources for parks, trails, and recreational development and maintenance due to governmental standing (a County Park District).
• Lays foundation for a comprehensive parks, trails, and recreation system in Big Sky.
• Offers greater depth of options to insure parks, trails, and recreational facilities due to governmental standing.
• Brings community together for a common cause.
Thank you for your support!