We’re hiring! Read below for information on our Editorial Internship and Staff Writer positions.
As a member of Outlaw Partners’ dynamic editorial team, the Staff Writer works closely with editorial and design teams to produce quality, daily news articles for explorebigsky.com, the bimonthly Explore Big Sky newspaper and biannual Mountain Outlaw magazine, among other Outlaw- owned and produced publications and platforms.
Reporting to the Managing Editor, the Staff Writer will be responsible for developing and pitching new story ideas for consideration and reporting them to completion as well as posting digital content on WordPress and social media. This individual will also assist in editing and miscellaneous editorial tasks, including photography, video and audio content development and implementation.
The schedule for this position is full time, Saturday-Wednesday each week. On weekends, the Staff Writer will lead breaking news coverage with help from the editorial team as necessary, while performing normal editorial duties.
• Cover local Big Sky news and events for EBS newspaper, including researching, reporting and writing news and feature stories, 3-5 stories/week • Shoot photographs, video/audio and write captions as needed
• Compile regional events for calendar
• Pitch articles for Mountain Outlaw and other Outlaw publications
• Attend Outlaw Partners and editorial team meetings to discuss content/story ideas • Post stories and edit press releases for explorebigsky.com and social media outlets
• Edit, copyedit articles, newspaper with editorial team
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field
• 1-2 years’ experience in print or online news reporting
• Strong command of AP Style
• Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google Workspace, photo editing software and online publishing platforms including WordPress
• Strong written and oral communication skills, with a keen attention to detail and the ability to multitask and meet strict deadlines
• Demonstrated social media aptitude, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn
• Willingness to relocate to one of the most beautiful mountain communities in the country: Big Sky, Montana
• Knowledge of outdoor/ski industries a plus
Work with Outlaw to collaborate on new and potential projects and provide the very best customer service through: • Cooperation and teamwork with customers and staff
• Effective communication and networking with customers and staff
• Integrity, trust, communication, confidentiality
• Assist in office duties: answering phones, taking messages and office cleanliness
• Create awareness of Outlaw services; networking with potential clients to help facilitate leads
• Collaborate with Outlaw team on creative marketing solutions and systems for internal company development, including media publications and digital platforms
Commensurate with experience. Outlaw Partners also offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Apply with the form below or email Editor-in-Chief Joseph T. O’Connor at email@example.com with any questions.
Editorial Intern — Summer 2022
Outlaw Partners marketing, media and events, based in stunning Big Sky, Montana, is offering a summer editorial internship opportunity to students looking for tangible reporting and media experience. Located in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, Outlaw offers interns the chance to live in one of the last best wild places, connect with a small mountain community and work in a versatile role.
WHO WE ARE
Explore Big Sky is a full-color, local and regional news and lifestyle newspaper, produced and distributed every two weeks in more than 150 locations across southwest Montana. We also post news on our website, explorebigsky.com, daily.
Mountain Outlaw magazine is a vivid, full-color glossy magazine exploring lifestyle, land and culture in the Yellowstone region and beyond. Published twice a year, it features award-winning editorial content as well as world-class photography. Our contributors have been featured in many national publications including CNN, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, National Geographic Magazine, and Outside Magazine.
WHO YOU ARE
EBS is looking for hardworking, detail-oriented candidates who are currently pursuing a degree in journalism, communications or a related major. Familiarity with AP style and strong writing and communication skills are a must. Proficiency with social media and photography skills is preferred.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
As a part of our tight-knit team, you’ll attend daily editorial meetings and get the chance to work directly with each of us on both short- and long-term projects. You will support our team through a variety of daily tasks including: social media posts, production of our daily digital newsletter, events coverage and reporting local news, among other things.
Deadline – May 1, 2022